Weight Tracker

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Before Surgery or How did I Gain all this weight?

BIRTH TO HIGH SCHOOL:  I was at regular weight during this whole period and about four years after high school.  The only thing I remember from this timeframe was my dad would bring home day-old donuts and my mom would make homemade pies every now and again.  Fortunately, I didn't gain any weight from eating those. 

GETTING MARRIED:  I married in November 1981.  I looked back on some pictures and noticed I had a little stomach bump (not pregnant).  This was probably from eating at Taco Bell or other Fastfood restaurants that were my favorites. 

I married a Mexican food chef.  He worked for The Alamo restaurants for several years.  He would come home and cook elaborate meals and would be unpleased or unhappy if I didn't eat the whole thing.  I was happy to do this. 

I soon became pregnant with my daughter and that was the beginning of my real weight gain.  I gained 65 pounds with her.  Wow, typing this now and thinking 65 pounds for a 7 pound baby, WTH!!!  Of course, I don't remember losing much of that.  All the stomach fat was still there.  I also did nothing about it.  I continued to eat the rich meals my husband was cooking and I did little to no exercise. 

17 months later, the Twins were born.  With them I gained 41 pounds so that is the good news.  The bad of course is the stomach fat was still there and now with three kids in the house, nothing was changing.  I still ate rich foods and did no exercise. 

POST FAMILY:

The kids are now grown; I am divorced from the first husband and starting to date.  I soon discover internet dating and a site for BBW or Big Beautiful Women.  I am surprised at the volume of men that are interested in me and I go out on a couple of dates.  These men obviously don't mind the big girl, so I have no incentive to exercise. 

My immediate family however wants to start an exercise contest.  The contest runs for six months and the requirement is to pitch in on a monthly basis.  There is a small amount of money for a monthly winner and a large pot for the winner at the end of the six months. 

At this time I decide to join Curves.  That combined with the exercise machines we have at home and a punching bag, I become the 2nd place winner losing 50 pounds.  My niece Delilah won overall. 

SECOND MARRIAGE:

This man gets introduced to me by a friend and he also does not mind a big girl.  However, when I met him, I had regained the 50 pounds and was now a member of Bally's Gym and going every morning at 5:00 AM.  About a year later, I dropped the gym and stopped exercising all together. 

This man would bring home ice cream and we would have it every single night.  I didn't gain any weight, but I didn't lose any either. 

There was also a lot of stress in this marriage as well as the deaths of two of my sisters.  With all this happening, I still didn't get past the 300 pound point.  I was however starting to develop medical issues and most due to my weight. 

TODAY: 

Pre surgery, I am still eating everything in sight.  I stop for a hamburger and fries almost every day.  I eat a large bowl of spaghetti and eat desserts or candy as they appear before me.  The good part is that I don't gain weight from all of this consumption. 

In December, my brother had one of his legs amputated due to diabetes.  That was IT!  I needed nothing further to convince me that I needed to lose weight.  It is now six months later, and on my way to substantial weight loss and a healthier lifestyle.  I don't crave the majority of the foods I was eating, save one or two.  I get full with the bare minimum and I am drinking lots and lots of water.

1 comment:

  1. oh my .. this really puts a spotlight on how much we can be influenced by our significant others.

    ReplyDelete