Weight Tracker

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Sleeve Surgery - Mission Accomplished!

My last post was nine months ago when I mentioned that I visited Dr. Sanchez for possible sleeve surgery. What happened between then and now goes as follows:

-         I weighed 260 pounds on this visit (this was up from 229). 
-         I visited the psychiatrist for surgery clearance (Dr. Bale).
-         I visited the weight doctor for medical clearance (Dr. Rory). 
-         I visited the nutritionist (two different ones, Ann and Barbara) for eating advice and counseling. 

After all of this, I still gained weight. It got so bad that the nurse practitioner at Dr. Sanchez's office told me that if I didn't start to take this seriously, she would postpone my surgery. And sure enough she did! It had been scheduled for August 25. I went to my next appointment, this time with Dr. Sanchez, and he told me that if I could lose 10 pounds in two weeks, he would reinstate the surgery for a new date. I told him to give me three weeks. When I returned, I had lost only nine pounds. His nurse told me to go back home and try again. When I returned a week later, I had the 10 pounds off and the surgery was scheduled.




**Here's my weight on 12/17/2014**
Next, the doctor's RN sent me the surgery paperwork, which included more blood work and an EKG. She also put me on an all-liquid diet for the two weeks prior to surgery. Because of the liquid diet, I lost a further 20 pounds. You would have thought I could cancel the surgery and just continue with the liquids, but I know—and as you have read—I am not capable of eating correctly on my own. 









**Here's my weight on 1/2/2015 **

The surgery was scheduled for 7:00 a.m., but I wasn't wheeled in until 9:30 a.m. When I came out, I was in a fog from all the meds. I stayed a night, and the next afternoon, I went home. Besides my children who stopped in for a brief moment, I had no visitors, which was a little sad for me. I did, however, get several messages with offers of help. During my hospital time, the nurses kept coming in for the mandatory blood pressure checks. At one point, my pressure had gone alarmingly low, and they came in every 30 minutes until I wasn't a risk anymore. The hospital was extremely cold, and I kept covering myself completely and asked for several blankets. Even the staff complained about the temperature.



Here's a pic of the drain.
The color has become a light orange as expected.  

Today, I am six days post-surgery. I still have the drain on my body, and that will be removed on the eighth when I visit Dr. Sanchez again. Today I weighed myself again, and I am down to 236.2. 


  

  



No comments:

Post a Comment