Weight Tracker

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Out of the Darkness Event

Today I participated in the Out of the Darkness Event.  About a year ago, I lost my son-in-law to suicide.  Therefore, in my own small attempt, I accepted my daughters challenge to join her in a fundraising drive and a 3+ mile walk. 

Although just a small group of us showed up, it gave me more of a desire to get the word out, to do more, to get more people involved and overall to save lives.  The people who are so depressed need to know that there IS help out there.  If you would like to know more about the organization I joined, I also encourage you to step out of your comfort zone and please visit this link:  http://www.outofthedarkness.org/  Lets all unite to do something TODAY! 

Todays walk was the hardest piece of exercise that I have done since my surgery four months ago.  It was just over a three mile walk.  I ended up with a blister on my left foot and a pulled muscle on my right hip.  I was able to keep up breathing wise, however, the pain in my hip caused me to come in dead last.  I could have easily stopped and had a relative come pick me up, however, I didn't.  I completed the walk, baby step by baby step and only five minutes behind a mom and her children in a baby stroller.  Thanks to my niece Angelica who although could have run the whole route in just minutes, stayed with me as we completed the route together. 

MY ROUTE AND STATS VIA MY iPHONE APP: 
http://www.mapmywalk.com/routes/view/53610250

No comments:

Post a Comment