Weight Tracker

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Another Surgery Type - Oye Vey!!!

Just received an email from a former co-worker.  This is what she says:

"I just had the DS (duodenal swtich in Dec 2010 and am down 60 pound now.) It's the best one to get as you dont gain the weight back and can eat pretty much normally after the first year or so. It is low carb eating- lots of protein but a MUST is 64 oz liquid and 100 grams protein daily and many supplements costing over $100 monthly. You must be diligent and compliant. It has a very high longterm success rate. People dont gain the weight back like the RNY (gastric bypass.) People get revisions all the time from RNY and lapband to DS successfully. Most everyone in happy with the DS but not the others. There is an excellent surgeon in Ca near Glendale- Dr Keshishian. People can easily gain it all back after RNY (gastric bypass) and few succeed with the lapband and have a lot of problems eating. 75% failure rate. I dont know if you knew but I had the verticle banded gastroplasty in 1985 and maintained a 100 pound loss for about 12 years. The DS is going to take me down to thin - like 130 pounds. I cant wait as I have never been thin. My knees already feel much better and I am up and full of energy again. I am down from a 26/28 size to 20. I am less than I have been for 30+ years now.
 
I get a wealth of info on the OBESITYHELP.COM forums for DS. I am there many times all day getting more & more knowedgeable and getting & giving support. Please join us if you have an interest in weight loss surgery. It is a very valuable site"

 
So, now I am really confused.  She says it is not too late to change my mind...however, I feel it is.  I haven't done any research on this new surgery and to be honest, I don't have time for it.  What to do, What to do???

1 comment:

  1. WebMD recommends 2.7oz protein daily for those with RA, which is about 2X that normally recommended. 100g = 3.52739oz. i would be concerned about what extra protein does to kidneys, and i'd research for any other effects. they also say to do resistance exercises such as leg lifts and weights so the protein does not store as fat.

    ReplyDelete